The BCA – Our History
In July 1953, The Institute for Technological Research of the State of São Paulo, with the initiative of Dr. Ernesto Pichler, Head of the Geology Section of the Department of Soil Mechanics of the Institute, invited the well known Professor Ralf Grim of the University of Illinois, USA, to offer a series of lectures about clays.
A significant number of specialists on ceramics were invited to attend the lectures and they took an active interest in the matters discussed. This led to the founding of the Brazilian Ceramic Associationand Eng. Fernando ArcuriJúnior, Head of the Ceramics Section in IPT was indicated to coordinate the activities of the newly formed Association,with the consent of the then Superintendente of IPT Prof.Dr. Joao Humberto Maffei.Soon after, contact was established with the Federation of Industries, whose President Dr. Francisco de Salles Vicente de Azevedo enthusiastically supported the idea.
The first meeting to establish the Association was conducted in August at the Engineering Institute, and a commission was created to outline the Statutes of the Association. This was completed the following month.
In November 1953 the Statutes were registered and the Brazilian Ceramic Association was formally established and enrollmentof Founding Members opened with 15th December 1954 as the deadline. The numberoffoundingmemberswas330.
The first set of Office Bearers of the Brazilian Ceramic Association are listed below.
President - Prof. Dr. Francisco de Salles Vincente de Azevedo
Vice President - Eng. Fernando Arcuri Junior
Ist Secretary – Dr. Jorge D. Figueiredo
2nd Secretary – Dr. Luciano Barzaghi
Ist Treasurer – Dr. Armando Amarante
2nd Treasurer – Dr. Nicolau V. Foraz
The headquarters of the Brazilian Ceramic Association was installed in the old Campus of USP at 110 Praça Coronel Fernando Prestes, in rooms kindly donated by IPT where originally their own Ceramic Section, founded by Dr. FredericaoAngeleri in 1939was first based. Later, during the first term of Eng. Antonio Ermírio de Moraes the installations were extended and modernized. The Association was located at this place till 1976. In 1996 it returned to IPT in the City University, as a result of an agreement between the two institutions.
During the 62 years if its existence, BCA has made a significant contribution to the development and dissemination of ceramics in Brazil through its publications and events.It has setup internet features that hasled to more agile and efficient relationships in the ceramics area, and a Database that is constantly updated and streamlined. Regarding publications, which started with the Journal ‘Ceramics’, others have been launched andmaintained.The launch dates of the main publications are given below.
Regarding events, the following three deserve to be highlighted:The Brazilian Ceramic Congress (Tables 1.a and 1.b) is the oldest and most important event about ceramics in Brazil and one of the biggest in the international level; The Meeting of Refractory Producers and Users (Table II); The Meeting of the Mining Companies and end users (Table III).